The XOOPS community (news, site) announces the new release of its award winning Web CMS platform. Supported by a large international developer community, XOOPS continues to prove that it can compete with the fast growing new comers like Drupal (news, site) and Joomla (news, site).
XOOPS (eXtensible Object Oriented Portal System) is a popular open source PHP-based web content management system. Since its release in 2002, it has been the recipient of numerous awards, including the the Packt Open Source Awards. The product was recently nominated again as a Top 5 Finalist in the 2010 Awards.
XOOPS is both object oriented and component-based. Most features can be activated or deactivated using an administrative interface, allowing users to create fairly sophisticated sites with minimal programming knowledge.
Key features of the product include:
- Database driven — Content is stored in a relational database.
- Security and User Management
- Internationalization — Including support for multi-byte languages like Japanese
A Major Upgrade for XOOPS
The version 2.5.0 production release, which was preceded by two release candidates, is a major upgrade to XOOPS.
- User interface refined to support AJAX
- Help System for Admin and modules
- MySQL Dump in Maintenance
- New Redirect messaging
- Column sorting in tables
- Smarty plugin for icon pack
- Smarty plugin for breadcrumb navigation
- jQuery plugins for display popup or manage drag & drop
- File Manager (Plugin)
- Maintenance with Cache Clean-up and Tables Maintenance
- Visual module ordering with drag & drop
- Visual block placement with drag & drop
- Refactor all PHP code for use XOOPS API
- Use template in the same way that front user, admin side for module can call a main template define in xoops_version.php
- Allow override of template in admin theme like frontend if we set template in ADMIN_THEME
- Manage editor for blocks, comments and for all module if module developper want to use it activate or deactivate system section
- Choose number of line for admin section
- Display or hide tips
A complete list of changes is available on the XOOPS website.
How Can I Get It?
The latest version of the software is available for free download from Sourceforge. Users have the option of downloading the minimum package, which only includes core and protector files, or the more full, regular release.
The XOOPSteam provides complete installation instructions in a detailed installation guide, also on Sourceforge.